Thanks for visiting Ghosts of North America. A big part of our mission is to spread the word about the austere beauty of North America’s vanishing and out-of-the-way places, and raise awareness about abandoned places that may soon be gone. As a result, we support — actually encourage — you to share the places that appear on this website. However, we ask that you observe some common courtesy if you’re interested in using any photos or other material from Ghosts of North America. Please follow these guidelines:
1. If you wish to post a photo or two from Ghosts of North America to accompany an article, blog, or other short-form online journalism, the following conditions are mandatory:
- Please credit the photo, either in a caption or somewhere in the body of the piece, as courtesy GhostsofNorthAmerica.com, linked back to our website. If you want to use more than one or two photos, prior permission is required. Contact us.
- If you promote the post which contains Ghosts of North America content on Facebook, you must tag the Ghosts of North America Facebook page at least once.
- If you promote the post which contains Ghosts of North America content on Twitter, you must tag our Twitter account at least once. We always retweet.
- If you promote the post which contains Ghosts of North America content on Instagram, you must tag our Instagram account at least once.
2. Take special note: while most of the photographs on Ghosts of North America were taken by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, the founders of this site, some were taken by contributors (they are always noted as such) and we do not have the authority to grant permission for use of contributor photos. Contributor photos should not be used without first gaining permission of the photographer.
3. For print or broadcast purposes, please contact us to license our material. We can furnish high quality copies for your needs.
4. Removal of watermarks or copyright statements, visible or embedded, is forbidden without the express written permission of Sonic Tremor Media.
These guidelines are in line with intellectual property laws and Fair Use Doctrine. Failure to follow these guidelines is a violation of copyright law. All photos on Ghosts of North America are copyright 2011-2016 Sonic Tremor Media. Contributor copyrights are retained by their original owners.